Thursday, August 20, 2015

Doodles from the Iceberg Model


At a recent IFVP conference, one of my favorite scribes talked about paying attention and responding to "what goes on below the waterline" as a graphic recorder.  

I've known about the iceberg model and have referred to it in my leadership and capacity-building work for nonprofits for several years. I was excited when I realized that I could incorporate what I've learned about transformational leadership into a new craft. 

The idea that we can also use scribing to deepen dialogue and elevate the capacity for others to listen deeply compelled me to review the iceberg model by re-reading A Leaders Guide to Reflective Practice by Judy Brown. (It's wonderful. You should check it out.)  I did some graphic note-taking and had a great time making fun of myself as I doodled. 

Judy takes us through the iceberg model and uses the example of the Titanic as the catalyst event. Here, I will review the model, and offer some insights of hers along with a few examples of my own. 

I love playing. This is meant to be a playful rendering. My examples are not meant to be cited as tragedies, nor are they events that are comparable to the horrific loss of life on the Titanic. The analysis is also not very serious. 


Above the Waterline - What We See - Events 

The world in which we live, play and draw is full of words and events. Words and events are seen and heard by everyone, yet most of what contributes to those expressions or causes the events is below the waterline. Here are few examples of events. 

1. The Titanic struck an iceberg and sank on her maiden voyage in 1912.

2. My motorcycle slid out from underneath me when I hit an oily patch on a street. (I'm fine.) 

3. The Acme supermarket in South Philadelphia has stopped carrying Fat-Free Pringles. 



Just Below the Waterline - Patterns of Behavior 

Patterns of behavior exist in every social system. Just below the waterline, there are predictable patterns of actions, reactions, and interactions. Here are corresponding behaviors for the events listed above. 

1. Everyone accepted the captain's supremacy and no one challenged his judgment. Those on the bridge ignored detailed notes in log books about iceberg sightings in the area. Passengers and staff ignored the shortage of lifeboats. 

2. I was not taking a very strategic route home that day. Instead, I took a shortcut through a neighborhood where the streets are frequently covered in a thin layer of broken dreams and motor oil.

3. Many, many people choose regular Pringles over Fat-Free Pringles. These same people probably choose Cheddar flavored Pringles over Sour Cream and Onion


Going Deeper - Structures 

At the next level down, there are conscious and unconscious rules that contribute to the patterns of behavior that produced the event. Here are some corresponding structures.

1. The Titanic was being driven at full speed "no matter what" through much of its journey so that it would arrive in New York on time. 

2. Residents rely on the City of Philadelphia to maintain the cleanliness and safety of its street infrastructure. Also, I can go anywhere at anytime and expect that everything will be fine. I am a skilled explorer and safe motorcyclist.  

3. In American culture it is normal to watch a lot of TV and mindlessly eat tasty snacks brought to us by recognizable brands. "Tasty snacks" are usually not fat-free and "Fat-Free Pringles" are not a hallmark of the Pringles brand; therefore, people assume they will taste like glue. 

Acme supermarket is a business and would like to make money so they stop selling items that only one person buys, even if she frequently buys six cans at once. 

The structures behind the terminated sale of Fat Free Pringles at Acme in South Philadelphia are very complicated.

The Bottom of the Ocean - Mindset

At the bottom of the iceberg we find mindsets or ways of thinking that produced the structures, that caused the behaviors, that created the conditions for the events. 



1. The captain and others thought the Titanic was unsinkable. It was intended to be this captain's final voyage after a long, safe and successful career. People thought that the captain's expertise and experience were ample insurance. 

2. I think I'm really special. I have an indestructible physical frame, eagle eyesight, and paranormal sensing abilities. Therefore, I know and see everything, everyone likes me and bad things do not happen to me unless I allow them to for the sake of comedy and/or your amusement. 

3. Many Americans think they should be satiated constantly. . 

We have learned behaviors that execute on that mindset, which is constantly reinforced by media and brand messaging.  Many people would also prefer to be fed hot cocoa and Valium intravenously all day, as opposed to having to feed themselves. If we could make money doing it, we would probably die out in a week. 

Therefore it is obvious that, for most people, the risk of trying a healthier snack (that is as good as the original) and being somehow unfulfilled probably outweighs the risk of obesity and heart disease. 





1 comment: